Deploying a single module with Circle CI

Hello!

We have a couple of teams starting to use Terragrunt. One using terragrunt-all and another trying to deploy modules individually. We also use Circle CI, seems like Terragrunt is using CCI internally as well. Curious if there is a pattern where folks are deploying a single module out of the “live” repo with Circle Ci. The mental hangup at the moment is there is 1 .circleci/config.yaml per repo. Seems like there is a way to use the CCI API to call a specific job, that’s the only thing we’ve come across so far that might help. Thoughts?

Just to make sure I understand, is your question how to know in which module to run Terraform or Terragrunt? For example, if you have a repo with:

├ .circleci
│ └ config.yaml
├ app
│ └ main.tf
├ mysql
│ └ main.tf
└ vpc
  └ main.tf

And if a commit is made, you don’t know in which folder to run apply?

Hi. That part is understood, given your project structure, deploying a single module would be as easy as changing your current working dir to one containing a .tfvars and running Terragrunt commands from there. Which works great.

The question is how to do the above and terragrunt-all out of one .circleci/config. Trying to think of the least hacky way to do so. Probably some env vars and a conditional.

Does that make anything more clear?

No, sorry, I’m feeling a bit dense today, and still not following what you’re trying to solve :slight_smile:

Could you provide an example of your workflow, what you’d want it to be like, and where you’re getting stuck with making that happen with CircleCI?

Apologies, I’m speaking generally instead of concretely. I’m going to play a bit using the following.
https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/api-job-trigger/#conditionally-running-jobs-with-the-api

I should be able to communicate better from there :slightly_smiling_face: